About Me

My photo
My husband and I got married in July 2006, lived in Greenville, moved to China for four years, and are now back in Greenville. We have 3 amazing children and love serving our Summit Church!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Grass isn't greener...

So today I became very aware of the difference between Chinese hospitals and American. Here is my journey...

At 8:40 this morning I left with Jachin to go to the hospital for his check up. We caught a taxi very quickly and I was encouraged that this was going to be a good day - boy was I in for a surprise - - -

I arrived at the hospital around 9 and met our contact from the doctor's office and she walked me into the hospital.
Task 1 - Do a checkup on Jachin's arm. We went to the 3rd floor, paid - you do that first - our 10 rmb ($1.5) to see the doctor. The doctor trained in America so he could speak English. He told me we needed to go get an x-ray.

Task 2- X-ray - We went from 3rd floor to the basement, paid for the x-ray (which cost about $20), waited for x-ray, and then I held down Jachin while he got the x-ray. Then we had to wait for the x-ray report to be done, which means waiting two hours.

Task 3 - Get blood work done - We then left 3rd floor and went to the 4th floor to draw blood. These were two tests. One would be ready in 30 minutes and the other in 2 hours.

Task 4 - Hearing Test. We decided to get a hearing test for Jachin just to rule that out but they take a big lunch break - 12 to 1:30 - so we had to wait until 1:30. On our way out we went to go see the orthopedic doctor to see what he says about Jachin's arm. He tells me that the angle of healing has gotten worse but he thinks it is no big deal. He says that the bone may remold in one or two years. By this time I am a little nervous. Then the doctor tells me I just have to be sure Jachin doesn't ever move his arm. Now many of you have not met Jachin so this isn't too odd but I can say that from having Jachin with us for 2 months I have NEVER seen him not move. He even moves in his sleep. I told the doctor that he wiggles a lot and he said (his exact words), "Yes! You cannot help if he is a naughty boy but you should do your best to be sure he doesn't move." I'm not really sure what that means and I am not too encouraged that his arm is still not healing at a good angle. But he said he'd meet with a colleague and get back to us after the report is done, in 2 hours. So we headed home to eat lunch and then came back at 1:30. We waited about 15 minutes for a taxi, in the snow. We return to the hospital for the hearing test.

Task 4 continued - We entered the hospital and headed up to the 5th floor. They had to put Jachin to sleep. This was the funniest part. They gave us this medicine and I wasn't sure what to do with it. We went in to see the nurse and she told us we needed to take his pants off. Then through a series of loud instructions that neither me or my friend understood we finally discovered she wanted me to place Jachin abdomen to abdomen with me and then they put a tube up his butt and put the medicine in that way. I had to hold his butt cheeks together so the medicine wouldn't come out until he went to sleep. So here I am in the hallway of this hospital holding my child by his butt cheeks with one hand and the other trying to hold his head somehow, also not trying to move his arm since I was told by the other doctor not to do that, and trying to stand. I finally gave up plopped down in the middle of the floor and he squirmed for about 5 minutes and then was out. So we went into another room where they plugged these things up to his head and did a hearing test. I was so glad to be done.

Task 5 - A 2nd hearing test. Then I am told he has to get another hearing test so we waited about 30 minutes more for him to get two more hearing tests. We picked up the blood work and then headed down to debrief with the original doctor on the 3rd floor. He said that him and his colleague think Jachin's arm is fine and he just needs to not move it. I asked for a new cast since his old one was so big I could fit my hand between his shoulder and the cast because the swelling had decreased so much. We then went to the desk, paid for the new cast, got it put on and then were finished.

My friend went to get the hearing test doctor to give her some more information and I left to go home. It was now 4 p.m. And to top an already exhausting day I ended up walking from the hospital back home (1 1/2 miles) in the snow because no taxi would take me. However, there were TONS of Chinese people stopping me telling me that my child was cold. One stopped me and took my scarf from my neck and put it around Jachin's feet and then followed me most of the way home and told me I should have brought more blankets because my child is cold.

Chinese hospitals are designed to be convenient for the doctors and not the patient. After being in a hospital all day today I hope that when I return to America I am more patient with waiting in an emergency room for however long because at least I get a private room where the doctor comes in and out rather than making me go all around the world.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Oh, oh how I understand your story! When our little guy did a five day hospital stay a few weeks after we first got him, it was a nightmare. He was in for an oxygen deficit due to pneumonia but they turned the oxygen off the first night we were there. We had to fight the next day to get it turned back on. I could just go on and on about our time there.
We also had our little guy out the other day in multiple layers of clothing, snow suits, blankets and wool hats. An older woman looked at me and really critically told me he was cold. I lost it and snapped "Bu leng." Some days it's just too hard!